30 gennaio 2007

Burmese kiss vs. French kiss


While reading “Burmese days” from G. Orwell, I discovered that in Myanmar language there is no word for kiss. As a matter of fact the Burmese kiss consists in smelling the other person’s cheek. As I was curious to know if this was still in use (“Burmese days” takes place in the ‘30s) I have asked one of our young nurse counselors who was traveling with me to Kachin. She started laughing and said “Now we are advanced to French kiss!” But the Burmese kiss is still in use…for kids ;-)

2 commenti:

Anonimo ha detto...

Great work.

Anonimo ha detto...

I do work with Refugees from Burma and find that they do indeed continue the smell kiss. I of course do not know what a kiss between lovers is but smelling cheeks is a symbol of affection and love through out this community.